Oz.

Oz.

26.3.10

Dissecting the Convoluted: National Cinema



















What is national cinema? Before engaging in an academic discussion about this topic, I probably would have been able to come up with a relatively simple and objective answer. Not being native to Australia, the conceptions (or maybe misconceptions) I hold about the country, the people, and the nationalism, are skewed through common stereotypes. The understanding I hold has been constructed through various forms of media I have consumed throughout my lifetime, providing me with an idea of what Australia is. Ironically enough, most of the knowledge I hold has been provided to me through mediums that are not authentically Australian themselves. This brings me to my next question: What is Australian?

Australia, from my Canadian perspective, was associated with: unique wildlife (koalas, kangaroos, deadly spiders etc…), vast landscapes, friendly people from both the outback and the surfing shores, and Vegemite. I have encountered all of these over the course of the last two months. This said, the more I experience and the more I engage myself in the Australian way of life, the less I am inclined to associate characteristics like these with THE Australian identity.

I am not naïve. I understand there is not one Australian identity. The identity I am trying to vaguely understand is the one that is projected to the international audience. Why do these characteristics stand out amongst all of the other potential traits that Australia could hold claim to? There is a significant depth to the people, the land, and the history of Australia as a continent, a country, and a nation. The depth of experience and vitality cannot be accounted for through iconic images of the Crocodile Hunter or kangaroos bounding across a deserted beach… right?

While I could not give you simple explanation of Canadian national identity, I understand it to be a lot more than beavers, bears, and maple syrup. I am sure these sentiments run across all borders when it comes to external assumptions and understandings of what makes individual nations unique.

There is a serious struggle, both internally as well as externally, to understand and project appropriate identities. Australia as a country, and the people that reside within it are diverse and constantly evolving. This makes it almost impossible to construct an identity that will encompass everyone and everything. So what is Australian anyways? And on that note, what would make Australian national cinema? This idea has me stuck and has left me with more questions than answers. I don’t feel as though I can expand on one question without some clarity on the other. Hopefully Australia will shine some light on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment